Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Ultimate Pop Culture Repository

This weekend I went to the Dallas Comic Con, and brought along my 1992 San Diego Comic Con book bag to stuff with swag. On the way to the con, my friend Vic mentioned that our sons, who are watching The Simpsons season by season as they are released on DVD, will already know the story of every major movie released in the last few decades before they ever see them, because they've all been parodied on the show. I pulled out my book bag when we arrived, spurring the following conversation:
Ryan: Who's that?
Me: That's Lobo.
Ryan: Lobo? You mean Sherriff Lobo?
Me (after a lot of laughter): No, not Sherriff Lobo. Wait a minute, how do you know who Sherriff Lobo is?
Ryan: The Simpsons.
So there you have it. The Simpsons is indeed the ultimate pop culture repository. Want to know what was going on in the collective unconscious at any point in the last twenty years? Just watch that season of The Simpsons. It's in there.

Side note: It warms my heart to know that DC's Lobo, one of the lamest comics characters of all time, has sunken deeper into obscurity than Sherriff Lobo, who's been off prime time television a lot longer than Lobo's been off the new comics rack.


2 comments:

newdawnwarrior said...

Hi, I was wondering if you would sell the lobo bag. My wife and are grew up on reading lobo comics in the 90's and I think this would be a neat litle gift for her. Please let me know if you'd be willing to sell it. Thank you for your time.
best,
Kazi

Unknown said...

Sorry, the bag's not for sale.